Friday, September 5, 2014

A HAIKU


One of the reasons I run on a regular basis is to set a good example for my girls, Rosie (age 9) and Grace (age 7).  I won't pretend it's the main reason.  But, it's up there.  When they were really little, they often used to cry when I told them I was going out for a run.  There must have been a part of them that worried I wasn't coming back, or, more likely, they just wanted me stay home and continue to give them my undivided attention.  Which is why I needed to go.  It always used to break my heart a little to see them get upset, but once I hit the road, on my own, I would start to get the mental and physical release that I was craving and I was able to put my guilt aside, if only for a little while.  Over time, the girls began to understand that, regardless of what they wanted or needed, unless it was an emergency, I was going to go for a run.  As they got older, they began to accept it as just something that mom does.  And sometimes, they had their own fun with it, at my expense.

Waiting patiently for me to get back from a run...
...with water balloons

Ready. Aim. Fire!

When I first started running marathons, shortly after my second daughter was born, my husband used to bring them along to watch and cheer.  Depending on the size of the race, they would see me anywhere from 1-3 times.

Waiting.... (Rosie)

.... still waiting (Grace)

... and finally the dandelion pass off was successful.

They might see me for about 2 minutes, maybe give me a hug or pass off some weeds...er...flowers, and then they'd have to wait around for me to finish which would take hours.  The result?  They would get bored out of their minds, very tired and hungry.  (aka the triple threat)  Not fun for them and really painful for dad.  Today, when I head off to a race of any distance, they will give me a high five and tell me good luck but they no longer come and watch. They've got other stuff going on and, honestly, they don't really want to stand around waiting to see mom run by.  I get it.  And I'm okay with it.  But all that said, I do think my drive as a runner is a good influence on them.  Both of them play sports....soccer, gymnastics, skiing to name a few.  While my husband and I try not to put pressure on them, we do encourage them to do their best and have fun.  Funny, that is exactly what I encourage myself to do every time I head out for a race.  Go figure.  This week, I was sorting through Grace's school work from last year, most of it pretty standard stuff, ready to be recycled.  But, then I came across a poem that Grace had written.  A Haiku, to be exact.  It literally stopped me in my tracks.  I read it.  And then I read it again.  I couldn't help but smile.  Something, I thought, something is sinking in.  I don't know exactly what or how, but I know it's good.  So, I'm going to keep on running.  For me, sure.  But also, for them.

GAME.  
HAVE FUN.  
DO NOT QUIT.  
NEVER GIVE UP.  
RUN!  

Listen to this:
From the Night - Stars  

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I am training for my first marathon and your blog keeps me inspired. I always appreciate your honesty and humor!

    Sharon (old GHS classmate)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon! Thx for the note. Good luck on the marathon training. Will try and keep you laughing and inspired along the way!!

      Delete