Friday, October 31, 2014

WHY COACHING IS AWESOME

This past Monday w/ my captains after our 
Middlesex League meet in Woburn, MA.

As most of you know, I coach the high school school girls cross country team in Lexington, MA.  There are about 70 girls on my squad.  Each one has their own unique personality and together they make up quite an eclectic bunch.  Even on the most difficult days, I look forward to going to work.  I can be totally exhausted, stressed out, or in a terrible mood and I know it will all change the minute I join them at practice.  I basically have to put my own issues aside when I show up as each one of them needs me for one reason or another and when I am with them I do everything I can to focus on them and only them.  Just two days ago I wrote about the difficult time I was having in the parenting department.  I went to bed frustrated and annoyed.  I woke up feeling the same way, just a little less.  But, by the time I got to practice, I had different fish to fry.  My seniors are beyond exhausted and many of them are sick due to their intense academic schedules.  One of my top runners can feel a a nagging injury in her foot every time she takes a step.  Another one of my runners is pissed at me and I have no idea why.  And the list goes on.  So, you see, there is no room for anything else during these 2 hours of practice.  My issues with my own kids have to take a back seat for a while.  And this is not a bad thing.  In fact, while I'm focusing less on Rosie and Grace and more on the team, I am constantly banking the knowledge I am gaining as it almost always applies to my personal life and I will most likely be bringing it home and applying it again.  And that is awesome.  As I write this post, I am smiling as I know that my runners are wearing their Halloween costumes to school today and at least two of them will be dressing up as bananas.  I am 100% positive that they will be laughing throughout the entire day and that they will be bringing that positive energy with them to practice.  I can not wait.  For that, and all the rest that goes along with it, the good the bad and everything in between.

With Lucy, sporting her banana costume
(oh, and Hanna's in there, too)

TOP 10 REASONS WHY COACHING HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES IS AWESOME
1. They remind me not only why I love to run, but how important it is for running to be fun.
2. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, they can always make me laugh.
3. They're energy is boundless and contagious.  
4. They inspire me to work harder.
5. They teach me to be more patient and to slow down.
6. They prepare me for what's coming down the pipeline with my own girls (oh Lordy).
7. They push me out of my comfort zone.
8. They remind how insanely important and valuable it is to have friends.
9. They always keep me guessing, not always easy to deal with, but a good challenge nonetheless.
10. They make me want to try to be a better runner/mom/person every single day.

Listen to this:
I Bet My Life - Imagine Dragons

No comments:

Post a Comment