Wednesday, January 21, 2015

ALL OF IT

“It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.”
~ Lucille Ball

On Monday, around 2:00pm, my girls and I were heading home from NH after having skied at Cannon Mountain for the long weekend.  When we left Franconia Notch, the weather was nasty.  But, by the time we were crossing the MA border, the sun had come out and the temp was a balmy 37 degrees.  Hmmm, I heard myself wondering out loud, I wonder if I can squeeze a run in when we get home.  Rosie, my 10 year old, chimed in from the back seat, Mom, she said, you just skied all morning.  Why would you want to go running, too?  I smiled.  Then I handed her my phone.  Rosie, I said, you know how you like to do this...



and this...


and this....


and especially this?! 


Most of the photos on my phone are of her and her sister doing the various things they love to do.  I figured I might as well share a few of Rosie's action shots with you for a reference and...well...because I'm her mom, I like to brag about her and she kind of blows me away.  Anyway, back to the story.  Here's how our conversation played out from there:
You know how you love to do all those things?  I asked.  
Yea, she responded.  
And you know that feeling of excitement, the butterflies you get in your stomach right before you're about to race or make your jump?  
Uh huh, she said.  
And you know that feeling of total awesomeness you get when you're in the middle of a game or your routine and you're having so much fun that you can't even believe it?
Um, yeah, she said.  
And you know that feeling of sadness or frustration that you get when things don't go the way you'd hoped and then how fired up you are to get back out there and try it again when that happens?  
Oh, totally, she exclaimed.  She got excited about this one.  Bless her heart.  
Well, I get all of that, ALL of it, from running.  
She was quiet for a minute; digesting, zoning out, who knows.  But then I hear, 
Wow.  That's really cool, mom.  
Yea, I said.  Yea it is.

Listen to this:
White Light - Waterstrider  

No comments:

Post a Comment