Monday, August 24, 2015

LONG RUN MADNESS:A TOP 10 LIST


As you may know, after all the bitching and moaning I did last winter, I'm trying very hard not to complain about the summer and all it's related challenges in regards to marathon training.  That said, summer long runs are tough.  They just are.  And no matter what kind of shape I’m in, if I’m out on the road for over 2 hours, I typically start to get a little loco.  Any combination of heat, lack of fuel, dehydration and/or exhaustion and my mind starts to cloud over with some crazy ass thoughts.  Take yesterday, for example, when I was about 10 miles into a 20 miler.  It was drizzling, so the temp wasn't too bad, but the humidity was in full force.  Just as I was thinking about how heavy my legs felt, I looked up to see a very large wild turkey in someone's driveway.  He was just staring at me, almost daring me to do something.  I felt like saying, "what the hell are YOU looking at."  And, if I'm being totally honest here, I entertained the idea of giving him a swift kick to the gut.  Though, not to worry, I did not do either of these things.  It did, however, make me laugh...at myself.  Turns out, most of these wild thoughts that I have are not even remotely socially acceptable.  But, I'm guessing (hoping), many of them will likely be understood by my fellow runners.  Maybe?  Regardless, as you're reading through my latest and greatest list of things I've considered and, in some cases, come very close to doing during my long runs, but didn't (I swear), feel free to laugh with me, laugh at me, whatever.  And, at the very least, if you see me cracking up on the road....to myself...you now know why.  The mind works in mysterious ways.  Especially for runners.  What are you gonna do?

TOP 10 THINGS I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT DOING 
(BUT DIDN'T) 
ON MY SUMMER LONG RUNS


1. Taken off my shoes and socks and jumped in a stranger's swimming pool.
2. Stuck my head in a puddle.

3. Walked into a Dunkin Donuts and offered the cashier my Garmin in exchange for a Coolatta.  
4. Spoken to and then kicked a wild turkey.
5. Picked up an abandoned drink by a park bench and finished it.
6. Asked a stranger for money so I could buy a water.
7. Walked into someone's yard and turned on their hose to take a drink and wet my head.  Though I completely understood why my running partner, Kirsten, broke down and did this last week because if I had been home, I would have been right there with her.
8. Veered off the bike path and laid down in the grass.  Just for a little while.
9. Picked up a duckling and pet it.  They look so soft.
10.  Stuck my thumb out and hitchhiked home.

Listen to this:
Hard Time - Seinabo Sey or listen w/  

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I think #7 a lot--though prob not as much as my post-run burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog puddle swims every run. I am jealous 75% of the time!

    ReplyDelete