Tuesday, August 11, 2015

RUNFAMILY


As I mentioned in my last post, this Friday I'm heading out to WA to run, swim, race, hike, tube, talk, eat, hang and cut a rug with over 200 of my Oiselle teammates.  For me, it's like a mini vacation.  When my kids ask me about it, I describe it as camp for grown ups.  They think that's funny.  When my friends ask, I tell them it's a running retreat/getaway.  They get that.  In a nutshell, it is basically five fun-filled, action packed days with an amazing group of strong women from all over the country who share my passion for running and all things running related.  In my book, it's bliss.  I joined the Oiselle team back in 2011.  The timing could not have been better.  I'd run four marathons by then and was starting to ramp up my training.  I had also just taken a job as a high school girls XC and track coach.  Hence, my life beyond family was becoming very centered around running.  I was loving it.  But, I clearly needed a new group of people to share this outlet with.  My husband, who is one of my biggest supporters in regards to my running, was more than thrilled that I'd tapped into this new running community.  You can only listen to your wife talk about training plans, splits, race strategies, and running clothes for so long before it starts to get a bit tedious.  Over the past four years, I have met some incredible people through Oiselle, many of them whom I now consider some of my closest friends.  My RUNFAMILY, if you will.  Basically, a group of women who support each other both in sport and in life; who run together when we can, who race together often, who cheer for each other all the time, and who love each other in a way that only a run sister can.  But, you see, it goes way beyond running now.  We celebrate the good stuff (ie. engagements, weddings, new jobs, new babies) and help each other get through the bad (ie. injuries, unplanned moves, military deployments, New England winters).  Seriously, though, not a day goes by when I don't think about how lucky I am to have this group of women in my life.  As I get ready to embark on another adventure with the Oiselle crew, I have taken some time to reflect on this past year and all the amazing moments that I got to share with these gals.  I did not know any of these ladies before I joined this team.  Honestly, I can't imagine my life without them now.  There is absolutely no question that family comes first.  But, my RUNFAMILY is a close second.  Very close.

w/ Nicole & Ashley at last year's Oiselle camp
Bend, OR  August 2014


Fall Classic 5K w/ Amanda, Stacey & Jess
Cambridge, MA  9/2014

Mohawk Hudson Marathon w/ Steph & Mollie
Albany, NY  10/2014

Fall meet up w/ Lauren & Amanda
Lexington, MA 10/2014

Jingle Ball 5K w/ Jess (coldest race EVER)
Winchester, MA  12/2104

Boston Marathon Team Dinner
Winchester, MA  4/2015

BAA 5K w/ Holly, Laurel & Jess
Boston, MA  4/2015

I think I’m on to something
Cause I feel the good times coming
~ Ella Eyre, 'Good Times'
Listen to this:
Good Times - Ella Eyre  Listen w/  

No comments:

Post a Comment